- Vasanth Kumar Thimakapura is a son of Sri Mallappa and Smt Puttamma a farming family of Thimakapura, Periyapatna taluk of Mysore District.
- Vasanth completed his basic education in Periyapatna. He did his M.Sc in Botany, M. Phil in Seed Pathology., and Ph.D. in Applied Botany from University of Mysore. After completion of Doctoral degree he served as Assistant Professor at Department of Applied Botany, University of Mysore for three years. He resigned for the secured post of Asst. Professor and worked as Research Scientist in various Reputed Seed Industries to pursue more applied and practical research in different cropping system. Dr. Vasanth has developed many simple disease screening techniques in various crops.
- Vasanth travelled all over the world to acquire the knowledge of most modern agricultural technologies and practices. He has visited various Universities and Research Institutions & interacted with stalwarts of scientific community. Inspired by Dr. Norman Borlaug, determined to serve the farming community. With great commitment to serve the farmers of his region, he justify many secured and lucrative jobs both in India and abroad.
Dr. Vasanth married Smt. Vaasanthi and blessed with two children Chaitra and Vaishak. Smt. Vaasanthi is also a post graduate in Botany and M. Phil in Seed pathology. She stood behind him in all his endeavors. Daughter Chaitra an Agri-graduate with MBA married to Mr. Bharath an Enginerring Graduate with MBA. Son Vaishak completed his graduation in Penn University, USA and felicitated with prestigious “President’s Award” of the University. Recently he got selected to do his Masters in Prestigious “London School of Economics”.
As a Scientist
- Vasanth Thimakapura did his Ph.D., in Applied Botany on the research topic “Seed-borne fungal diseases of Maize” under the guidance of Prof. Shekar Shetty. While doing Ph.D., he got selected as Assistant Professor in the same Department of Applied Botany, University of Mysore. Striving innovative mind of Dr. Vasanth soon realized the drawbacks of faculty position in university system, decided to quit a secured profession. He later joined Pioneer Hybrid Seed Company as a Research Pathologist. His innovative mind developed many simple techniques.
- Attended several national and international conferences held on various aspects of agriculture in general and Plant Pathology in particular.
- Published 20 Research papers in both national and international journals.
- Penned more than 70 popular articles in English & Kannada in various leading magazines and newspapers on Agriculture, Science etc. He has also written many travelogues.
- Vasanth established a firm “Green Lifescience Technologies” in Mysore to develop innovative products and conduct laboratory and field trials. His vision is (Lab-Land-Lab) to take the Lab to the land and bringing back the land problems to lab to solve them.
- His innovative product PHYTON-T has given enormous benefit to the tobacco growers in terms of increased yield and best quality. Phyton-T has revolutionized the tobacco cultivation in the country. Many research papers on the effect of PHYTON-T have been published in national and international journals, which stand as a testimonial of his innovation.
- Vasanth is well known as Agri-consultant and providing Consultancy to various companies like Monsanto, Bioseeds, Reliance, Tiera seeds etc
- Recently Dr. Vasanth developed another new product Powerplus which is very effective in the management of viral diseases of the crop plants.
- He has developed a group of scientists by imparting his scientific knowledge, spirit, commitment to serve the farming community of this region.